ONE PLACE Makes it Easy!
We all know the anxiety of looking for something important (often on deadline) that we can’t find–we know it’s there somewhere! How can you reduce the chances of that happening–without the horrible knot in the stomach, or mentally beating up on yourself?
Help yourself avoid that scenario by just following the principle of ONE PLACE.
Good news: It doesn’t have to be perfectly organized, in fact the ONE PLACE doesn’t need to be organized at all–it just needs to be contained or defined.
- ONE PLACE for the bills (folder, tray, basket, etc.) Even with electronic options, you probably still get some.
- ONE PLACE for office supplies
- ONE PLACE for Client files–alphabetical is easy. (A complete filing system is a different topic.)
- ONE PLACE (electronic or paper) for ideas–with a section for each type: business development, projects, books to read, etc.
- ONE PLACE for articles you want to read
- ONE PLACE for computer software
- ONE PLACE for computer cables and accessories
- ONE PLACE for light bulbs–now you can see what you have or need
- ONE PLACE for batteries–instead of here and there
- ONE PLACE for keys!
It’s like your kitchen, which I would guess is organized well enough that you keep plates in stacks, silverware together, glasses in a cupboard, etc. so that you don’t have to search through a basket of laundry for a cup!
- Pick the most logical, convenient place (It can be changed if you decide on a better place later).
- Use a container or defined area (drawer, cupboard, shelf, tray, box, etc.)
- Keep only one category of things there.
- Breathe a sigh of relief that you will know the ONE PLACE to go when you need something, not wracking your brain and searching everywhere.
Enjoy having only ONE PLACE!